Apple Ham Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups instant rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups apple juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless fully cooked ham steak, cut into fourths
- 2 medium tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a saucepan, saute rice, onion and celery in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add 1-1/2 cups apple juice and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook ham in remaining butter until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook and stir apples, brown sugar and cinnamon over medium heat until apples are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in raisins.
- 3. In a bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining apple just until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return ham to skillet and heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 648 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 2242mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein
Reviews for Apple Ham Steak
"I didn't care for the rice, but I liked the ham. Next time I will just make the rice plain. I would rate 4 stars, but can't for some reason, the computer is not letting me select the stars."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer