Apple Ham Hotcakes
Hearty ham, sweet applesauce and a hint of caraway flavor these light buttermilk pancakes from Kelly Thornberry of La Porte, Indiana. "They're so delicious, I often serve them hot off the griddle without syrup," she explains.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed, optional
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chunky applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- Warm maple syrup, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients and caraway seeds
- if desired. In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, applesauce,
- and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn
- when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is
- golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 15 pancakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 239 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 983 mg sodium,