Apple-Ham Grilled Cheese
Meet the Cook: After finding this recipe years ago, I altered it to fit our tastes by adding the apples. Our whole family loves them! We look forward to fall when we go out to the orchards to gather the fresh-picked ingredients for pies, cobblers, salads...and, of course, this sandwich.
Dinnertime has always been important to our family as an opportunity to share food and news. Our three chil
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped tart apples
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Combine apples, mayonnaise and walnuts. Place a slice of cheese on
- four slices of bread. Layer each with 1/3 cup of the apple mixture,
- a slice of ham and another slice of cheese; cover with remaining
- Butter the outsides of the sandwiches. Cook in a large skillet over
- medium heat on each side until bread is golden brown and cheese is
- melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 629 calories, 42 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 1,352 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.