Apple-Ham Grilled Cheese Recipe
Meet the Cook: After finding this recipe years ago, I altered it to fit our tastes by adding the apples. Our whole family loves them! We look forward to fall when we go out to the orchards to gather the fresh-picked ingredients for pies, cobblers, salads...and, of course, this sandwich. Dinnertime has always been important to our family as an opportunity to share food and news. Our three children are grown now, and my husband and I are the grandparents of seven. -Shirley Brazel, Rocklin, California
- 1 cup chopped tart apples
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Combine apples, mayonnaise and walnuts. Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread. Layer each with 1/3 cup of the apple mixture, a slice of ham and another slice of cheese; cover with remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of the sandwiches. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat on each side until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Ham Grilled Cheese in Country Woman September/October 1997, p31
Reviews for Apple-Ham Grilled Cheese(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 21, 2011
I used low-fat mayo and low-fat margarine and they still were delicious! I can imagine how wonderful they would be with the real deal!
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grilled Cheese >
- Ham Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Sandwiches >