Apple Grape Salad
I've made this recipe for special dinners all through my 46 married years, and it's always been a hit. My sister worked for a farm wife during the late '30s and early '40s, and she got this recipe from her. It's especially delicious when the apples are freshly picked, and it adds wonderful color to any table! —Kathryn Booher, Laguna Hills, California
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cubed apples
- 2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup walnut halves
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in water until
- smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and
- vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, grapes, celery and walnuts. Add
- the dressing and toss gently. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 277 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.