Apple-Gorgonzola Bacon Bundles
Spiced apples and creamy gorgonzola cheese are wrapped in salty bacon, cooked crisp, then drizzled with a pomegranate glaze for a delicious appetizer. —Chrystal Baker, Studio City, California
16 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 8 bacon strips, halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Cut each apple into 8 wedges. In a large skillet, heat butter over
- medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, spices and salt; cook and
- stir 5-6 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from pan; cool
- Add pomegranate juice to the same pan; bring to a boil. Cook 7-8
- minutes until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, stirring
- frequently. Remove from heat.
- Wrap each bacon piece around one apple slice and 1 teaspoon cheese,
- completely enclosing cheese; secure with a toothpick.
- In a clean skillet, cook bundles in batches over medium heat 3-5
- minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning occasionally. Serve with
- pomegranate glaze. Yield: 16 appetizers (1/3 cup glaze).