Apple Fruit Salad Recipe
Lots of apples are grown in southern Illinois, and this is one of my favorite ways to use them. I like Golden Delicious, or a combination of Golden and Red Delicious for pretty color, but you can use whatever type of apple you prefer. The cooked dressing gives the salad an old-fashioned feel.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 medium apples, diced
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- For dressing, in a small saucepan, combine the sugars, flour and water until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount into the egg; return all to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vinegar and butter. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, celery, grapes, pineapple and cashews. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fruity Apple Salad in Country Extra January 2006, p51
Reviews for Apple Fruit Salad(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review