Lots of apples are grown in southern Illinois, and this is one of my favorite ways to use them. I like Golden Delicious, or a combination of Golden and Red Delicious for pretty color, but you can use whatever type of apple you prefer. The cooked dressing gives the salad an old-fashioned feel.
Featured In: 30 Salad Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 medium apples, diced
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- For dressing, in a small saucepan, combine the sugars, flour and water until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount into the egg; return all to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vinegar and butter. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, celery, grapes, pineapple and cashews. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fruity Apple Salad in Country Extra January 2006, p51
Reviews for Apple Fruit Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 10, 2014
"This was not good. The sauce looked gross and tasted average. Will not make this again."