This is an old Southern recipe. When we got home from a trip through the South years ago, I found the recipe among the brochures I brought back. I've been making these fritters ever since. -John Robbins, Springdale, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter, orange juice, peel and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Originally published as Apple Fritters in Reminisce May/June 2001, p50
Reviews for Apple Fritters
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review