This is an old Southern recipe. When we got home from a trip through the South years ago, I found the recipe among the brochures I brought back. I've been making these fritters ever since.
-John Robbins, Springdale, Pennsylvania
2-3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In
- another bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter, orange juice, peel and
- vanilla. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to
- 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 2-3 servings.