Apple Fennel Salad
My wife has never been a big fan of fennel, but it's always been a favorite of mine. I was able to successfully sneak it into this salad, and ever since she has given me the green light on dishes with fennel. If you can't find preserved lemon, simply omit it from the recipe. — Jason Purkey, Ocean City, Maryland
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large tart apple, julienned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup glazed walnuts
- In a small bowl, bring vinegar to a boil; cook 4-5 minutes or until
- thickened to a glaze consistency. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, fennel and apple. In a small bowl,
- whisk lemon juice, oil, pepper and salt until blended. Pour over
- salad and toss to coat. Add cheese and walnuts.
- Drizzle eight plates with balsamic glaze. Top with salad. Yield: 8