Apple Fennel Salad
My wife has never been a big fan of fennel, but it's always been a favorite of mine. I was able to successfully sneak it into this salad, and ever since she has given me the green light on dishes with fennel. If you can't find preserved lemon, simply omit it from the recipe. — Jason Purkey, Ocean City, Maryland
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large tart apple, cut into julienne strips
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup glazed walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Cook until liquid is
- reduced to about 1/4 cup; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, fennel and apple. In a small
- bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, pepper and salt. Pour over arugula
- mixture; toss to coat. Add cheese and walnuts; toss to combine.
- Drizzle about 1 teaspoon vinegar over each plate. Top with salad
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 174 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium,