Apple Dutch Baby Recipe
This dish is a longtime family favorite for Christmas morning. It's light and airy, filled with eggs and juicy apples and delicious with bacon on the side.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Heat 5-8 minutes or until melted. Stir in apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake 15-18 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, flour, milk, baking powder and salt until smooth. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Spread over apples. Bake 12-15 minutes or until set and golden. If desired, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 224 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC