- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Heat 5-8 minutes or until melted. Stir in apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake 15-18 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, flour, milk, baking powder and salt until smooth. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Spread over apples. Bake 12-15 minutes or until set and golden. If desired, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dutch Baby
"This was very yummy! I think next time though, I'm going to double the apple & spices part so there is a thicker layer. The top reminded me of an airy slightly more eggy pancake. Not quite like a crepe. I'd definitely make this again. It was delicious."
"I haven't made this yet.I need gluten free Can this be made gluten free ..does anyone have a recipe for gluten free recipe?"
"I made this recipe for my sister's birthday--and she absolutely loved it! I followed the recipe almost exactly, and was pleased with the result. We had six people, though, and I doubled the recipe (made two pans), so I don't see how the above portions can comfortably serve eight. I will definitely make this recipe again!"
"This recipe was very good. It did taste a lot like eggs though but we ate it with syrup so it masked the eggy taste."
"This was AWESOME. It was much lighter than I thought it would be. The whole family loved it."
"Would like to know if I can substitute whole what or oatmeal flour for white flour."
"This was so yummy! Even the non-apple lovers in my family ate it. I had some warmed up the next day and it was even better. Definitly worth the numerous steps!"
"If you read it says "Fold into egg yolk mixture" This means you fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture or vice versa."
"What do you do with the egg whites?"