Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares.
- Place 1/3 cup chopped apples in the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold up corners to center and pinch to seal. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour over dumplings. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumplings(11)
Sort By :
I have to agree with Grandonna. If you are afraid of calories, why are you looking at desserts? You should be looking in the grass and weed section. Desserts are usually sweet!
I just checked the ingredients in Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel topping. It has High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff causes diabetes. Look it up.
This is dessert people! You don't have to always count calories, live a little! Sheesh! To those who feel so smug using sugar free jarred caramel, look at all the chemicals you're consuming!! That's cancer in a jar.
I have a recipe for apple dumplings but the apples are peeled and cored but left whole and placed in the center of each pastry square. Otherwise the recipe seems to be pretty similar. Very good. I think I will try this one too.
At first glance, the recipe appears to be yummy; I like everything in it. BUT the calorie count squashed my enthusiasm. Perhaps with modifications, the recipe would be more palatable