- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares.
- Place 1/3 cup chopped apples in the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold up corners to center and pinch to seal. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour over dumplings. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumplings
"I just checked the ingredients in Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel topping. It has High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff causes diabetes. Look it up."
"This is dessert people! You don't have to always count calories, live a little! Sheesh! To those who feel so smug using sugar free jarred caramel, look at all the chemicals you're consuming!! That's cancer in a jar."
"I have a recipe for apple dumplings but the apples are peeled and cored but left whole and placed in the center of each pastry square. Otherwise the recipe seems to be pretty similar. Very good. I think I will try this one too."
"At first glance, the recipe appears to be yummy; I like everything in it. BUT the calorie count squashed my enthusiasm. Perhaps with modifications, the recipe would be more palatable"
"Holy Crap! 700 calories for one dumpling? Thats insane!"
"Very good. I used sugar free caramel topping that was ready-made....not to sweet."
"These were excellent, when you make a few alterations.1. I chopped the apples into very small pieces.2. I baked the dumplings for the full time & did not make the sauce. Instead, I heated a jar of Sugar Free Smuckers Caramel Topping. Once the dumplings were done, I took them out of the oven, set them on a serving plate & drizzled the caramel topping over them. YUM!! And, my diabetic husband could eat one, too!"
"Way Way to sweet. I wish I had looked at the calories before making it. My tummy feels so ill now."
"This tasted good, but a few things bother me about this recipe:1. If you chop your apples, they will poke through the pie crust. Mine did this and I was in tears by the end of folding the third dumpling; it was so frustrating. I recommend mincing the apples, though this might cut down on your cooking time if you want to avoid applesauce inside the dumplings.2. I greased the pan using non-stick spray, but they still stuck like crazy! None of them came out of the pan whole or even close to pretty (like TOH's picture). I recommend GENEROUSLY greasing your pan and removing the dumplings while the sauce is still hot so you don't risk gluing them to the pan's bottom.3. This dish was WAY too sweet for us. I can't imagine anyone would want to add ice cream too. I probably should have figured that out when the sauce called for 2 CUPS of brown sugar, but I didn't. So, if you don't like SUPER SWEET, don't make this; the tart apples won't offset the sauce.All that being said, I can see why people would like this. It did taste good, but I won't be making it again due to our taste preferences."