Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce Recipe
Of all my autumn recipes, apple dumplings are a hands-down favorite. I found this treat years ago in an Amish cookbook. A rich, homemade caramel sauce tops it off. —Lois Stache, Brillion, WI
- 2/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball; divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a well-floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 8-in. square. Cut apples in half horizontally; place an apple bottom on each square. Place brown sugar and cinnamon in the core of each bottom; dot each with 2 teaspoons butter. Replace apple tops.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Place in a greased 8-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine flour and water until smooth. Add the sugars, butter and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Pour over dumplings.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce in Country Woman August/September 2009, p36
Reviews for Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review