This dessert always reminds me of my great-grandmother, who gave my mom her love of good wholesome food. The crispy golden dumplings are filled with apples and topped with a sweet caramel sauce. A scoop of ice cream is the perfect finishing touch. —Jody Fisher, Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares.
- Place 1/3 cup chopped apples in the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold up corners to center and pinch to seal. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour over dumplings. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Dumplings in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p36
Reviews for Apple Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review