Apple Dumpling Dessert Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons cold water
- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide dough into four parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one apart to fit the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place in dish; top with a third of the apples. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third over apples.
- Repeat layers of pastry, apples and cinnamon-sugar twice. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish and place on top. Using a sharp knife, cut 2-in. slits through all layers at once.
- For syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over top crust. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream if desired. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumpling Dessert
Sort By :
"Was a little disappointed with this recipe. The top crust was flaky and light but the bottom crusts were soggy. Not sure if I'll be making this again anytime soon..."
"OMG, I can't tell you how happy I was to find this recipe. My mom (god rest her soul) had this recipe for years, but even though she subscribed to Taste of Home Magazines for years and even had the hard back yearly issues, for some reason this particular recipe was just a cut out from a magazine and I didn't know it was a Taste of Home one, other wise I could have just looked through all of those cook books that are now mine. Anyway, I absolutely love this recipe and I wanted to make it for Easter to take to my Cousins, but I could not find the tiny cut out recipe and was panicked till I went online and typed in "Apple Dumpling Dessert" and "Voila" there it was on your site. So I joined your site and added it to my Recipe box AND printed a couple copies so I will NOT lose it again."
"This recipe was absolutely delicious, but took me much longer to make than my traditional apple dumpling recipe. I had to roll the dough out 4 times for this versus 1 time with my original recipe. When I'm in a hurry to make my traditional recipe, I use diced apples rather than a whole apple. which tastes the same."
"I have made this several times and it is super easy and ooooh so delicious.my family & I love it"
"This was very good. I did have a hard time getting the crust in the pan in one piece. It broke apart, so I just put it on top anyway. When it bakes up it makes the house smell so good. As soon as I pulled it out of the oven my 6yr daughter asked 3 times if it was ready. We ate it warm with ice cream. I will make this for potlucks..my friends would love it."