Apple Dumpling Dessert Recipe
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons cold water
- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide dough into four parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one apart to fit the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place in dish; top with a third of the apples. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third over apples.
- Repeat layers of pastry, apples and cinnamon-sugar twice. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish and place on top. Using a sharp knife, cut 2-in. slits through all layers at once.
- For syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over top crust. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream if desired. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumpling Dessert(3)
Sort By :
This recipe was absolutely delicious, but took me much longer to make than my traditional apple dumpling recipe. I had to roll the dough out 4 times for this versus 1 time with my original recipe. When I'm in a hurry to make my traditional recipe, I use diced apples rather than a whole apple. which tastes the same.
I have made this several times and it is super easy and ooooh so delicious.my family & I love it
This was very good. I did have a hard time getting the crust in the pan in one piece. It broke apart, so I just put it on top anyway. When it bakes up it makes the house smell so good. As soon as I pulled it out of the oven my 6yr daughter asked 3 times if it was ready. We ate it warm with ice cream. I will make this for potlucks..my friends would love it.