Apple Date Crisp
My mother loves to make this old-fashioned dessert, and my father, brother and I love to eat it. Each serving is chock-full of apple slices, crunchy nuts and chewy dates. When the weather is cold, I love to warm up with this dessert.
-Karin Cousineau, Burlington, North Carolina
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Additional apple slices, optional
- In an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine apples and dates.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in
- butter until crumbly. Add nuts; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Serve warm. Garnish with apple slices if desired. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 445 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein.