Apple Danish Recipe
A friend gave me this recipe that makes good use of our bountiful apple harvest. It's very moist and makes a perfect addition to breakfast or brunch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:20-24 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg yolk and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just until dough clings together. Divide dough in half.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- 3. In a bowl, toss together filling ingredients; spoon over pastry in pan. Roll out remaining dough into another 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 230 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC