- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg yolk and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just until dough clings together. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together filling ingredients; spoon over pastry in pan. Roll out remaining dough into another 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Apple Danish
Sort By :
"This recipe is a long-time family favorite! I like to use 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. shortening in the crust."
"Tried this recipe today it came out great! I used a smaller pan to cook it in, I used a 13X5 casserole dish. I also used butter in place of the shorting. I ended up having to cook it about 15 to 20 minutes longer also. Great recipe, thank you for sharing!"
"I made this for a community event this afternoon - great! Before I started, I wondered how I would do rolling out such a large crust, but had no problem. I might have patched a bit on one side but it still looked good. Six cups of apples were just the right amount. Instead of the 2 Tbsp. of flour, I used 3 Tbsp. of Pie Enhancer (by King Arthur Flour) to ensure my filling would be set perfectly. The glaze on top was a nice touch. Only one thing - I don't think 'Apple Danish' is the correct name for this. How about 'Apple Pie Squares'? Seems like a better description of the dish to me. Anyway, definitely baking this again!"
"I make this all the time! it is perfect as is. It is always a huge hit!!!"
"My recipe for this is exactly the same except for the glaze. My glaze calls for 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt , 1 tsp. vanilla and 2-3 tbsp. milk. Always a favorite whenever I serve it."