- 5 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- In a bowl, combine first five ingredients; spoon into pie shell. For topping, combine sugar and flour; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is browned and apples are tender. Cover crust edges with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Crumble Pie
Sort By :
"I prepared this recipe for the Crumbs Ingredient Challenge! I did adjust recipe by using 1/2 packed brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar in the filling and for crumb topping, I used: 1/2 packed brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar. I used 1/4 cup of margarine to conserve my butter supply and I used 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg to make a spicy crumb topping! I kept the amount of butter OR margarine at 1/4 cup so that way I'd have JUST the amount of crumbs needed! I did bake the pie as specified for 10 minutes @ 400o F., then at 375o F. for 45 minutes until topping was lightly browned. I used prepared pastry shells which I'd thawed 15 minutes at room temperature, then put in zip-lock plasticgallon-sized food bags in my refrigerator to stay fresh until used! Thank you for this recipe!delowenstein"
"I made this pie for Thanksgiving and many came back for seconds. It was the first of my 5 desserts to be devoured. My uncle, who is a self described apple pie expert, said it was one of the best apple pies he has ever had. I used a deep-dish pie pan so I increased the ingredients by 50% and sliced, not diced, the apples. I also sliced the pie into small (16) servings since most people eat several different desserts on Thanksgiving and prefer smaller servings. The topping makes this pie extra special and impressive. Very minimal work yields a beautiful and delicious pie. So happy I found this recipe."
"Great recipe! I did not peel nor dice the apples; just sliced thinly. I baked it at 350 for 55 minutes, & it was cooked to perfection!"
"This is one of the best apple pies I have made! Absolutely delicious, easy, and everyone loved it."
"Excellent pie. Very close to a recipe I use. Very simple and delicious!"