- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing topping and filling.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and toss to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is browned and apples are tender. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Apple Crumble Pie
"This pie was really good. At first I thought the nutmeg was a bit much as I was making it, and I was skeptical of using regular white sugar (instead of brown sugar) for the topping--but it turned out superb."
"not sure why some folks had a problem with the topping , it worked great for me. I used a food processor for a short cut to make the crumbs, and you have to be sure to bake long enough, I think it was closer to 60 min for me. If you do not bake long enough the topping will not crisp up. My son-in-law informed me he is not that crazy for pie, but when I made this for Thanksgiving-he had two pieces. The topping was crisp and sugary. The filling not too sweet. I could have added one more Tbl flour as my apples were juicy- but I would give this pie and excellent rating."
"Did not like the topping! I prefer brown sugar topping mixture.."
"Even though I have my own crumble recipe, I thought I would give this a try as I prefer no oats in my topping. I find the topping ratios flawed - knew it wasn't right as I was measuring out the topping ingredients. 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup butter does not yield a CRUMBLY mix. Rather what I got was a very wet & sticky buttery dough/paste. Have to agree with dory1126 here. Definitely won't make again."
"oh! my!! this pie! was great!! made this for a wkend family get together! got so many compliments!! will make it again1 PS> add icecream too yum!"
"This is great quick apple pie recipe, that's a must-know for those that love apple pie. It goes together in no time and makes a nice change from a traditional double crust pie. I served it to a group of friends who raved about it's flavor. Personally, I'll cut back on the nutmeg the next time because it's not my favorite spice, but otherwise, I thought it was great. A tip for novice cooks: chop the apples in relatively small pieces of the same size to make sure they cook evenly."
"This is a good, basic apple pie recipe. One every cook should have in their recipe box. The topping has good flavor but we prefer the texture of a brown sugar, oatmeal crumble."