This has been a favorite recipe of mine for many years. I've made these apple bars for parties and for family, and they're always a hit.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 to 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda; cut in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumbs into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange apples over top; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla and remaining butter. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly; spread over apples. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Crumb Bars in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p54
Reviews for Apple Crumb Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review