Apple Crisp Muffins Recipe
Waking up to the smell of apple muffins will start your family’s day off right. Cream cheese filling makes them moist and tender, and oats and nuts in the topping add crunch.—Connie Boll, Chilton, Wisconsin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls into centers of muffins.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 356 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC