- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- Roll out into an oval, about 1/2 in. thick. Using a floured 2-1/2 -in. biscuit cutter, cut out two circles. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with apple mixture and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cream Shortcakes in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p64
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Apple Cream Shortcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 18, 2010
Nom Nom YUM