Apple Cream Shortcakes Recipe
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- 2. Roll out into an oval, about 1/2 in. thick. Using a floured 2-1/2 -in. biscuit cutter, cut out two circles. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with apple mixture and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 515 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Apple Cream Shortcakes
"This is a great and tasty twist on the classic shortcakes. YUM! Worth a try!"
"Nom Nom YUM"