- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, milk, butter, sugar, lemon peel, salt and 3/4 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface. With floured hands, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; build up edges slightly.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Gently spread over dough. Arrange apple slices over top; brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cream Cheese Kuchen in Reminisce Extra September 2009, p53
Reviews for Apple Cream Cheese Kuchen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 18, 2013
"easy,convenint,and feasible to make.big family everyone loved it."