"This is the first dessert Mom would make when apples were ready to pick," writes Antoinette Kilhoffer from Ridgeway, Pennsylvania. "One bite of this old-fashioned country cake will have you coming back for more. A boxed cake mix makes it very easy, but it tastes like it's made from scratch."
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; spoon over batter. Pour cream over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cream Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p52
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review