Apple-Cranberry Wild Rice Recipe
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1small leek (white portion only), coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apples
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Drain. Stir in savory; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek in oil for 1 minute. Stir in cranberries, apples and 3 tablespoons broth. Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add rice, onion salt, lemon-pepper and remaining broth. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 124 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Apple-Cranberry Wild Rice
"Just made this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Giving it a night for the flavors to blend. Oh yum, yum! (I had to sneak a sample.) But, I needed to add some more broth to the leek and dried fruit (just a tbsp at a time) before the dried fruit got soft. Probably because I'm in Arizona. :) Delish!"