Apple Cranberry Upside-Down Cakes Recipe
Cornmeal gives this upside-down cake a unique texture. Apples, cranberries and pecan make a delicious alternative from the typical pineapple and cherries.Margee Berry, Trout Lake, Washington
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large skillet, cook the apples, brown sugar and lemon juice in butter over medium heat until apples are tender. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Place in six greased jumbo muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil and egg. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour over apple mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around edges of cakes to loosen. Cool for 3 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sour cream and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with warm cakes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cranberry Upside-Down Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p143
Reviews for Apple Cranberry Upside-Down Cakes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cake Topping Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >