This fresh ruby-colored relish is sweet and tangy, and the apples and celery give it a terrific crunch. At our house, it's a holiday menu mainstay since it's so pleasant with poultry and pork.
Edith McFarland, Willits, California
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 3 cups sugar
- Grate peel of oranges and set aside. Peel and discard white membrane.
- Separate orange into sections and place half in a food processor or
- blender. Add half of the cranberries, apples and celery. Process
- until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl; repeat with remaining oranges, cranberries,
- apples and celery. Stir in sugar and reserved orange peel. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Yield: 16 servings (8 cups).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 172 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.