Apple Cranberry Pie Recipe
Although it's my husband who's the cook at our house, I enjoy baking. A good friend passed along this recipe to me. The pie was an instant hit with my family, and I've been giving the recipe to other friends ever since. —Janet Morgan-Cavallaro, Pincourt, Quebec
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, tapioca, water and orange peel; let stand for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in apples. Set saucepan in a pan of cold water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Pour filling into crust. Top with remaining pastry or a lattice crust. If using a full top crust, cut a few slits in it.
- 3. Beat egg white and water until foamy; brush over top pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 474 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC