Apple Cranberry Muffins Recipe
“I often make several different kinds of breads to give as gifts to family and friends on special occasions,” writes Maureen Collop of Bothell, Washington. “These fruity, crumb-topped muffins are a favorite.”
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple and cranberries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter. For topping, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 muffin equals 192 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC