Apple Cranberry Chicken Salad
At home in Salem, Oregon, Christine Vaught packs her chunky and nutritious salad with crunchy apple and celery, dried cranberries, blue cheese and almonds for a wonderful blend of tastes and textures.
Using fat-free instead of regular mayonnaise in this chicken salad slashes nearly 30 g fat per serving! That makes room in the recipe for tasty bacon, blue cheese and almonds.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken, celery, apple and cranberries.
- Stir in mayonnaise. Serve on lettuce; sprinkle with bacon, blue
- cheese and almonds. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 352 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.