Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
Tart apples and sour cream flavor this moist coffee cake covered with brown sugar and crunchy nuts. "The recipe makes two pans, so you can serve one and freeze the other for a busy morning or unexpected company," says Dawn Fagerstrom of Warren, Minnesota.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12-18 servings
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- 2. For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cover and freeze for up to 6 months.
- 3. To use frozen coffee cake Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (6-9 servings each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 251 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC