Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- 2. For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cover and freeze for up to 6 months.
- 3. To use frozen coffee cake Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (6-9 servings each).
1 piece: 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apple Coffee Cake
"This coffee cake didn't work for me. The bottom got soggy even after I tossed flour in w/chopped apples they still sunk to bottom of dish. There wasn't enough topping"
"I made this wonderful coffee cake for Easter & got rave reviews. Because of peanut allergies that my grandson has, I made one with nuts & one without. He loved the one that had no nuts & took the rest home. After reading the reviews, I made a few changes, that worked well. First, I divided the apples, using more, & put 1 cup into each of the batter, that was in its own dish, & incorporated the batter & apples together. Has anyone tried making this into one coffee cake instead of two? Would this work in a 9 x 13 pan? Thanks for the great recipe Dawn."
"Terrific recipe! Made this for our family as well as for Christmas gifts for the neighbors. We have daughter with severe Lactose Intollerance so I made some adjustments to avoid the dairy. Substituted Smart Balance Light Spread for the butter in the topping. Also substituted Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise for the sour cream in the batter. Both are lactose free and work very well in many recipes. Baked and tasted wonderful. My only tip would be to make sure the apples are divided equally between the two batters when you split them. I had one cake that didn't bake as well as the others and I'm quite certain it was due to having too many apples in that half of the batter."
"My kids and I loved this recipe for breakfast with our cafe ole'."
"Didn't even have time to freeze it! All was eaten within 2 weeks."
"This cake is just great everyone is just crazy about it. I gave one to a friend and her husban just loved it and he not much on sweets. I am making another one today."
"Incredible. I used light butter and fat-free sour cream, and it turned out great. Everyone loved it."
"I am going to have to make this one again. I read several reviews commenting on the perfect sweetness however my one complain about it is that I did not feel it was sweet enough. I followed the recipe so I don't know if maybe my sweettooth just wanted a little more or if I somewhere missed something. The cake is deliciously moist though which is always a great thing!"
"I made this for my family, it went over very well. My 14 year old daughter told me that she could live onit!"
"I used pecans instead of walnuts because that is what I had on hand. I made this 4 days before for a breakfast catering and froze it. Both cakes were still super moist. Everyone loved it!"
"I just tried this recipe this morning. Yummy! My husband even commented on how moist the cake is. I did substitute pecans for the walnuts, since I don't care for walnuts. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written."
"Even though this recipe called for shortening, I loved it!! It was very soft and moist and the topping gave it perfect amount of sweetness. I will definatly be making these again, probably using butter instead of shortening though."
"Delicious and moist cake and easy to make. One of my family favourites. Make it often, sometimes in a 9x13."