Apple Coffee Cake Bread
I've loved to cook since my grandmother helped me stand in a chair and "fry" toast when I was 4. I've been a nurse for 18 years, and my husband and I and our daughter recently moved here to Bristol, Tennessee from Bristol, Virginia—the state line runs down Main Street!
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, cream sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Add eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each. Add baking soda to buttermilk; add to
- creamed mixture. Mix in flour and salt. Stir in apples, nuts and
- raisins. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Melt remaining butter; drizzle over loaves. Combine brown sugar and
- cinnamon; sprinkle over loaves. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack to cool.
- Slice in 1-1/2-in. pieces to serve. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 131 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium,