Apple Coffee Cake Braid Recipe
Holiday brunches at our house always feature this lovely braid. The dough is prepared in a bread machine, giving me time to focus on other things.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In bread machine pan, place first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. For filling, in a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, raisins, flour and apple pie spice; set aside. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle; spread butter down the center third of rectangle. Spoon filling over butter.
- 3. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 1 coffee cake.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 366 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC