Holiday brunches at our house always feature this lovely braid. The dough is prepared in a bread machine, giving me time to focus on other things.
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- In bread machine pan, place first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, raisins, flour and apple pie spice; set aside. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle; spread butter down the center third of rectangle. Spoon filling over butter.
- On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 1 coffee cake.
Originally published as Apple Coffee Cake Braid in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p230
Reviews for Apple Coffee Cake Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review