Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cover and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To use frozen coffee cake Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (6-9 servings each).
Reviews for Apple Coffee Cake
Sort By :
This is a wonderfully moist and very delicious breakfast cake.
This coffee cake didn't work for me. The bottom got soggy even after I tossed flour in w/chopped apples they still sunk to bottom of dish. There wasn't enough topping
I made this wonderful coffee cake for Easter & got rave reviews. Because of peanut allergies that my grandson has, I made one with nuts & one without. He loved the one that had no nuts & took the rest home. After reading the reviews, I made a few changes, that worked well. First, I divided the apples, using more, & put 1 cup into each of the batter, that was in its own dish, & incorporated the batter & apples together. Has anyone tried making this into one coffee cake instead of two? Would this work in a 9 x 13 pan? Thanks for the great recipe Dawn.
Terrific recipe! Made this for our family as well as for Christmas gifts for the neighbors. We have daughter with severe Lactose Intollerance so I made some adjustments to avoid the dairy. Substituted Smart Balance Light Spread for the butter in the topping. Also substituted Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise for the sour cream in the batter. Both are lactose free and work very well in many recipes. Baked and tasted wonderful. My only tip would be to make sure the apples are divided equally between the two batters when you split them. I had one cake that didn't bake as well as the others and I'm quite certain it was due to having too many apples in that half of the batter.
My kids and I loved this recipe for breakfast with our cafe ole'.