Apple Cobbler Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs and vanilla; add to crumb mixture. With a fork, gently mix in milk to moisten. Stir until dough forms a ball. Press half of the dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Chill the remaining dough.
- Toss apples with tapioca, cinnamon and remaining sugar; place over dough in pan. On a lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough to fit top of pan. Place over apples. Brush with milk. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Apple Cobbler
Sort By :
"I found that I couldn't roll out the dough for the top and I had to use another cobbler topping! I admit that I had to use almost all of the dough for the bottom crust! I did use 1 tsp. salt instead of 1/2 tsp. and I used about 4 cups of apples instead of 8 cups! For the cobbler topping, I used the following ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder,1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup milk. I didn't use the milk, sugar and cinnamon for the topping . I dropped what was the balance of the top for this cobbler & then I'd made the additional cobbler topping and baked it again for about 20 minutes more until golden brown.I gave this dessert to friends and they enjoyed the cobbler! For me, I'll probably stick to my adjustments on this recipe! I rated this as a 4* recipe! Thank you, Rita Reifenstein, for taking the time to share your recipe! I am glad I tried it-I just found that I did need to adjust it to get the results I wanted! delowenstein"
"I was going to make this till I read the reviews!"
"Dough never formed a ball. Came out very dry. Would not make again."
"There was not enough moisture called for to allow the apples to cook and the tapioca to make a sauce. The apple filling was not edible."
"The crust was too thick; there were not enough apples, it was like a crust on crust sandwich. I could not serve this to company."