- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sour cream and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful over each muffin.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 16 muffins.
Reviews for Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
"I just joined ToH to rate this wonderful recipe! I did follow one of the reviewer's suggestions of shredding the apple (used Granny Smith). I also added 2 tblsp of ground flax seed and used brown sugar in the muffin mix, cutting back a bit on it. I made this into six jumbo muffins and had enough for two of the mini-loaf pans. They came out fluffy and delicious, and the topping was great! The cooking time of 18 min worked perfectly, although I left the bread in for one more min....wanted a little more browning. Nice recipe for breakfast or just with a cup of tea!"
"The muffins were so moist and tasty!! :)"
"I modified this recipe to make it gluten-free and it turned out addicting! I used 1 1/2 cups white rice flour, 1/3 cup potato starch and filled out the rest of the 2 cups with tapioca starch. That's it. I happened to have a green and a red apple that measured to 2 cups of chopped apple and added it all anyway. I didn't have sour cream so I used Vanilla Kefir instead, and just in case (because of the sweetness of it) I decreased the sugar to 3/4 cup (1/2 cup white and 1/4 cup brown sugar). Ended up with 20 muffins. Delicious, moist, perfect amount of sweetness...A keeper!"
"These muffins taste great! I made some adjustments. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour along with 1 cup all purpose flour. I used 2 cups chopped apples, but next time, I would shred them instead. I used about 1/2 a cup of brown sugar in place of white sugar. I will definitely make these again!"
"These muffins are very moist and tender, I added extra apples to the recipe so the muffins were larger and required an extra seven minutes of cooking time. They came out of the oven beautiful and the whole neighborhood was delighted by the smell."