- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- For filling, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples; saute until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with apple mixture; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple-Cinnamon Shortcakes
Sort By :
Very Good! The only change we made was to double the filling/apple mixture. Great dessert for a cool fall day! The shortcakes are very tender and wonderful served warm.
So yummy thank you !!!!!!
This is the kind of shortcake we made for all fruit, nix the cinnamon for, say, strawberry shortcake. I like it a lot better than the sponge cake type, I like the added crunch. When the filling is very hot, pour a little milk or cream over it, or top with whipped cream. Very good!
I agree with Mortinka. I want to know what to expect when I make a recipe not hear about how I shouldn't be making it because it's unhealthy or that "it sounds good" because that's why I plan on making it. Enough ranting, I did make this and it was average. The shortcakes cooked up fine, I got nine using 1/4 c. to measure. I used Braeburn apples and they took FOREVER to soften and were sliced very thinly. I finally gave up and threw a lid on the pan and steamed them. Flavor was good but nothing overly special.