Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal Mix
"Oatmeal is a breakfast staple at our house," relates Lynne Van Wagenen from Salt Lake City, Utah. "It's a warm nutritious start to the day that keeps us going all morning. We used to buy the oatmeal mixes, but we think our homemade version is better! Feel free to substitute raisins or other dried fruit for the apples."
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup dried apples, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each serving):
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an
- airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 8
- cups total.
- To prepare oatmeal: Shake mix well. In a small saucepan, bring water
- to a boil; slowly stir in 1/2 cup mix. Cook and stir over medium
- heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 1
- minute or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 176 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium,