This ruby-red gelatin is a festive addition to your holiday spread. Cinnamon red-hot candies add a unique flavor.—Suzy Horvath, Gladstone, Oregon
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cranberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red-hot candies
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Place gelatin in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine water and
- candies. Cook and stir until candies are dissolved and mixture comes
- to a boil. Stir into gelatin. Stir in cold water.
- Set aside 1 cup gelatin mixture; let stand at room temperature.
- Refrigerate remaining gelatin until set but not firm. Fold in
- apples; pour into a 6-cup mold coated with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in
- reserved gelatin; carefully spoon over apple layer. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Unmold onto a serving platter.
- Yield: 8 servings.
To Make Ahead: Gelatin can be made a day in advance and unmolded a few hours before serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 212 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium,