Apple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast Recipe
When my wife and I hosted a breakfast for our church group, we wanted to avoid the last-minute rush of cooking. So we decided to try this make-ahead French toast. Everyone loved it and requested the recipe.
- 10 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1. Place bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla; pour half over bread. Top with half of the apples. Combine cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over apples. Top with the remaining apples. Pour remaining egg mixture over apples and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 375 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 233 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC