When my wife and I hosted a breakfast for our church group, we wanted to avoid the last-minute rush of cooking. So we decided to try this make-ahead French toast. Everyone loved it and requested the recipe.
Recommended: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Place bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla; pour half over bread. Top with half of the apples. Combine cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over apples. Top with the remaining apples. Pour remaining egg mixture over apples and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook , p42
Reviews forApple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2016
Reviewed May. 1, 2012
"Very good sweet breakfast treat. Made for a bridal morning getting ready and going to make again for work."