Apple Cider Gelatin Salad Recipe
Apple cider and crisp apples lend a hint of fall to this refreshing salad that's perfect for autumn and holiday gatherings. A dear neighbor lady shared the recipe with me. -Cyndi Brinkhaus, South Coast Metro, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash salt
- 1 cup diced unpeeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring cider to a boil; stir in the gelatin mixture and sugar until dissolved. stir in lemon juice, cloves and salt. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- 3. Fold in apples, walnuts and celery. Pour into a 1-qt.dish or individual dishes. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- 4. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and sugar until blended. Dollop over salad; sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve with cinnamon sticks if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 328 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC