Apple cider and crisp apples lend a hint of fall to this refreshing salad that's perfect for autumn and holiday gatherings. A dear neighbor lady shared the recipe with me. -Cyndi Brinkhaus, South Coast Metro, California
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash salt
- 1 cup diced unpeeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute.
- In a large saucepan, bring cider to a boil; stir in the gelatin mixture and sugar until dissolved. stir in lemon juice, cloves and salt. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Fold in apples, walnuts and celery. Pour into a 1-qt.dish or individual dishes. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and sugar until blended. Dollop over salad; sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve with cinnamon sticks if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cider Gelatin Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p25
Reviews for Apple Cider Gelatin Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2010
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2008
"I absolutely love this recipe and make it at least once a year at the beginning of autumn."