Apple cider and crisp apples lend a hint of fall to this refreshing salad that's perfect for autumn and holiday gatherings. A dear neighbor lady shared the recipe with me. -Cyndi Brinkhaus, South Coast Metro, California
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash salt
- 1 cup diced unpeeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute.
- In a large saucepan, bring cider to a boil; stir in the gelatin mixture and sugar until dissolved. stir in lemon juice, cloves and salt. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Fold in apples, walnuts and celery. Pour into a 1-qt.dish or individual dishes. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and sugar until blended. Dollop over salad; sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve with cinnamon sticks if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cider Gelatin Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p25
Reviews for Apple Cider Gelatin Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2010
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2008
"I absolutely love this recipe and make it at least once a year at the beginning of autumn."