- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chocolate Glaze for Doughnuts or Maple Glaze for Doughnuts, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring cider to a rapid boil; cook over high heat until cider is reduced by half, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter and cooled cider; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, pat each portion to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 365°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Fry doughnut holes, a few at time, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels; cool slightly. If desired, dip tops of doughnuts into glaze of your choice. Yield: 1 dozen doughnuts plus doughnut holes.
Reviews for Apple Cider Doughnuts
Sort By :
"Made these this morning to go with breakfast. DELICIOUS!! I prepared the dough last night exactly as specified, rolled it out and cut the doughnuts this morning. Tried sugar, cinnamon sugar mix and ginger sugar mix as a coating. Definitely prefer plain sugar or cinnamon sugar mix. We did not try either glaze. Keeping the temp at 365 can be a little tricky, so I used a candy thermometer to help monitor the temp.This recipe is not difficult, but a little putsy. If I was planning to use for company, I think I would cut out the dough ahead of time so in the morning, all I'd need to do is heat up the oil and plop the doughnuts in.I fried up half of the dough today, and I cut and froze the remainder of the dough to use sometime in the next month. I'll plan to thaw the dough the day prior in the refrigerator. I'm not sure how that will work, but I'm going to give that a try."
"These doughnuts looked "picture perfect." Based on appearance, they turned out just as expected. I thought they were a little lacking in taste, though. I didn't care for the wheat flour. I would use only all-purpose flour next time. Also, I would substitute half of the brown sugar for white sugar, so the taste wasn't so heavy. I did enjoy the flavor of the apple cider, and the chocolate gaze was tasty."
"Wonderful!I made my dough the night before, which made breakfast come all that much more quickly in the morning. The level of spice in this recipe was far more tolerable than some other recipes I have tried. In fact my kids didn't even notice.I rolled some in a cinnamon and sugar mixture and made a chocolate glaze/frosting for the others.I will be making these again."
"I made these a few weeks ago and they were awesome!"
"I really liked these and so did the kids."